Buying a foreclosed property can be a great way to get more bang for your buck, whether you are looking to turn a profit or make a home just right for your family. People may try to scare you with stories of mold damage, but these are not a big deal if you know how to protect yourself.
Since a foreclosed home has sat empty for long time, it could have become a suitable environment for mold. Here is why:
- Mold spores are abundant in the environment.
- Mold needs moisture to grow.
- An empty home has not been ventilated properly, potentially raising indoor humidity.
Testing Is the Solution
Don’t be deterred by these facts. Foreclosures are sold as is, but a professional mold inspector can look for things you can’t see and conduct mold testing to make sure your investment is safe.